Failover mechanisms are neither an extra effort nor an extra cost that can be ignored in software solutions. From the developer’s perspective failover mechanisms are a sign-off:
- Understanding of working environment of a specific piece of code,
- Willingness to supply a reliable and robust system,
- A way to avoid irresolvable issues.
On the other hand, for the client requesting a software solution, failovers can:
- Minimise the problems from ignored or removed requirements,
- Provide a reliable and robust system that will reduce the impact of business loss,
- More importantly, the solution purchased is less susceptible to errors leading to business problems.